Trick-or-treat, give me some candy or give me a listing!
When preparing and going on a listing appointment you should begin with the 5 P’s:
1) Prequalify the seller. Screen the seller to ensure that they are serious before the appointment.
2) Prepare the seller. Consider providing a prelisting package before the listing appointment.
3) Prepare and present yourself. Sell yourself and your services.
4) Price effectively. Make sure your pricing strategy that you present to the seller is fair.
5) Press for the agreement. Ask for the listing once you have done your listing presentation. Don’t just assume that it’s yours.
Now for the tricks: It is essential that you know your product, if possible try and view other homes that may be within the price range of the potential listing to see how they measure up and this will aid you in calculating your pricing strategy for the property.
Remember that the seller may be interviewing other agents as well so it is in your own best interest to demonstrate your unique abilities as an agent as much as possible. What sets you apart from the competition? Do you have different methods of advertising? Supply a professional photographer to take photos of the home? Stage the listing? Etc.
Prior to going on your listing appointment make sure to:
• Get the tax records
• Research past sales of the property, look back at the MLS records and reference the tax records obtained
• Compare other listings and sales in the neighborhood
• Develop a pricing strategy
• Prepare a thorough market analysis that you can give to the seller
Be as prepared as possible when you go to the listing appointment. Act like it is a job interview that you are going on. Arrive on time, be professional and clearly convey your abilities to market and sell the property. Happy Trick-or-Treating!
Megan Rutherford is a Realty Biz News Contributing Writer