We all admire a great garden and a nice lawn when we see one. Whether it’s the garden in front of a mansion, a castle or that of an institution, a beautiful well maintained lawn and an imaginative landscape catch our eye.
But any person who has such a wonderful green lawn and a beautiful garden will tell you that it needs permanent care and that, often, you need professional lawn care services from people who study the land, notice its particularities, and know exactly what each lawn needs in order to thrive.
With this in mind, we decided to present you a top 50 lawn care service companies in the US. We based this top on their revenues, as included in the 2014 Lawn & Landscape Top 100 list, which was published in May. We focused on companies with headquarters in the US, so you will notice some differences between this top and the source we mentioned. In addition to that, some companies merged – so the commercial landscape changed during 2014, while others in that list don’t include lawn care services.
One thing is clear though: if you need professional lawn care services you should take in consideration using the services of one of the companies listed below as they are nationwide leaders in this field.
1. ValleyCrest Landscape Companies – one of the America’s largest private companies with roots going back to 1949. It was launched by Burton S. Sperber and, from a „tiny nursery with three workers grew to more than 100 locations around the world with 10,000 employees and $1 billion in annual revenue” as Los Angeles Times mentions. the company has several divisions providing a complete area of landscaping services to developers, real estate owners, blic agencies, property managers and homeowners. The Brickman Group presents itself as „the largest commercial landscape maintenance firm in the United States” and recently the two companies completed their merger, thus creating the biggest service provider in the field, with more than 20,000 team members and approximate annual revenues of $2 billion. Both companies will continue to operate under their own names. These companies were number one and, respectively, number two in the above mentioned top of companies in the lawn and landscape field, based on their revenues in the previous year. As they merged together, we present them as a single company.
2. TruGreen provides tailored lawn care and maintenance services. The company is based in Memphis and is positioned as „the nation’s largest lawn care company, serving more than 1.7 million residential and commercial customers across the United States with lawn, tree and shrub care.” The company promotes the use of natural, organic services and sustainable practices and currently there are approximately 250 TruGreen LawnCare branches in the United States and Canada, including about 35 franchise locations.
3. Davey Tree Expert Company is a company active in this field since 1880 and it is present in the United States and Canada. Davey Tree is Ohio’s largest employee-owned company and the seventeenth-largest in the nation. The company has more than 8,000 employees and 2014 marks 35 years of employee ownership.
4. EMCOR/USM – True, EMCOR is a leader in mechanical and electrical construction, industrial and energy infrastructure, and facilities services. However, USM provides commercial landscaping services. The company offers nationwide landscaping maintenance and is backed by EMCOR so that it can provide as well a complete area of services from fire safety and lighting issues to HVAC and plumbing.
5. Scott LawnService is the wholly-owned subsidiary of the The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. The company presents itself as the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care and makes more than $2.8 billion in worldwide sales. Scotts LawnService® is the second largest residential lawn care service business in the US, and The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company is active in Europe as well.
6. TruGreen Land Care is an independent company that provides comprehensive commercial landscaping services in North America – through a network of 60 branches in 17 states. They provide landscape services for a wide variety of industries and people from hotels and hospitality to corporate campuses, from residential communities, condominiums and apartments to board or property members and more.
7. Bartlett Tree Experts was founded in 1907 by Francis A. Bartlett and is the world’s leading scientific tree and shrub care company, but they also provide lawn care services. The organization’s current chairman, Robert A. Bartlett Jr., represents the third generation of Bartlett family management. The company has locations in 27 U.S. states, Canada, Ireland and Great Britain, and the corporate offices are located in Stamford, Connecticut.
8. U.S. Lawns was established in Orlando, Florida in 1986. At the present moment they have a network of over 260 locally owned franchise locations nationwide and they provide customized commercial landscape management and snow and ice management services to their clients.
9. Gothic Landscape appears to currently be, as they mention on their website, the largest majority family owned landscape construction company in the U.S. the company provides a wide area of services to clients nationwide.
10. Lawn Doctor has a history of almost 40 years and is now present in over 40 states through its more than 460 locations. The company provides lawn care, pest control services and tree and shrub care. The companies’ professionals develop customized lawn care programs for lawns that enable clients to reach all their goals.
11. Yellowstone Landscape Group was formed in 2008 and aims to “identify successful, regional landscape companies and support them as they grow to their full potential.“ Currently there are two main companies: Austin Outdoor and BIO included in the group, and they do provide lawn care services (among others) for tens of years now to important clients in the U.S.
12. Merit Service Solutions has over 35 years of experience in the field. As the official site mentions, the company provides a broad range of exterior facilities services, from landscape and parking lot maintenance services to snow and ice management services to capital improvements and enhancements.
13. SavATree offers organic lawn care services for home, campus or business. They also provide tree services and shrub care.
14. Mainscape was founded in 1980 and provides various landscaping services all year long.
15. Massey Services has over 80 years of experience in the field providing pest prevention, termite protection and landscape care services.
16. Marina Landscaping has more than 30 years experience in landscape design, installation and maintenance and is considered one of the leaders in the field.
17. Clintar Landscape Management with over 40 years of experience the company provides landscape management services to corporations, property management companies, government facilities, home owner associations, and private estates.
18. NaturaLawn of America was created in 1987 and believes and promotes environmentally responsible lawn care. The company developed an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system – a premiere, they say, when it was introduced.
19. Envrionmental Earthscapes/ Groundskeeper provides landscape and lawn care services and it is based in Tucson, Arizona.
20. Acres Group was founded in 1983 by Jim Schwantz in Arlington Heights, IL and since then the company provides premium quality landscape maintenance, landscape installation, custom design build projects, and snow removal.
21. Denison Landscaping is one of the Washington, DC / Baltimore, Maryland Metro area’s largest landscape contractors and a family owned corporation since 1973. They provide a wide range of landscaping services, including among others, drainage, erosion control, maintenance, snow removal.
22. Spring-Green Lawn Care offers both traditional and organic lawn care and tree care services, including fertilization and weed and disease control, to residential and commercial customers. The company was founded in 1977.
23. Lucas Tree Expert Co. was founded in 1926 in Portland, Maine and since then the company provides utily service and professional services to residential and commercial clients.
24. Jensen Corporation is a provider of landscape construction and maintenance services in Northern California. The company is employee-owned and has over 40 years of experience.
25. The Greenery was first established on Hilton Head Island in 1973 by Ruthie and Berry Edwards. Nowadays, the company is employee owned and provides construction and maintenance services to various clients. They also have a garden center and an interesting range of gifts and antiques.
26. Mariani Landscape is a company with over 50 years of experience in the field. Headquartered in Lake Bluff, Illinois, the company is, as the official presentation states, one of the largest landscape design, installation and maintenance firms in the country for residential clients.
27. Christy Webber Landscapes believes that landscaping is inspiration. Collaboration. Community. The company promotes itself asa a full-service landscape provider offering design, construction and maintenance programs to residential, commercial and municipal clients throughout Chicago.
28. Sebert Landscaping has more than 25 years of experience that provides construction and maintenance services, as well as snow removal ones. They also have a subsidiary – Great Impressions – providing design services.
29. Cagwin & Dorward is, according to the official website, a full service landscape provider specializing in landscape maintenance, landscape construction, water management, and tree care for commercial, municipal and residential customers.
30. Mission Landscape Cos. was founded in 1970 by Wayne DuBoise in Costa Mesa, California as a small, family owned business. Nowadays is a employee owned and operated company providing comprehensive professional landscape services throughout Southern California communities from Sacramento to San Diego.
31. Greenscape has more than two decades of experience in the field and provides complete landscape design, development and maintenance services for select residential and commercial properties.
32. Terracare Associates is a leading landscape maintenance and public infrastructure management company in the Western United States with over 30 years of experience.
33. Dixie Landscape Co. provides design, landscape installation, maintenance, irrigation installation, and tree farms services.
34. Metco Landscape, Inc. is a Colorado corporation active since 1987. The company offers landscape design, installation and maintenance services all along the Front Range.
35. Reliable Property Services provides year-round exterior property services since 1983 for various clients such as large retail centers, office buildings, medical facilities, educational campuses and distribution centers.
36. Maldonado Nursery & Landscaping is a company with 30 years of experience that offers a full range of services, including commercial construction, irrigation design & installation, commercial and residential maintenance, landscape design and installation, and limited site development.
37. Ryan Lawn & Tree was founded in 1987 by Larry Ryan and provides lawn care, tree and shrub care and irrigation services.
38. McFall and Berry Landscape Management provides landscape services to the Washington DC Metropolitan Region for over 30 years. The company provides landscape maintenance, technical services, turf renovation, landscape enhancement, and arbocultural services.
39. Chapel Valley Landscape Company – founded in 1968, Chapel Valley Landscape Company is a full service exterior landscape company that offers design, installation and maintenance for both residential and commercial properties.
40. Schumacher Landscaping provides a wide range of landscaping services, including, in the maintenance area, lawn fertilization.
41. AAA Landscape is an Underwood Brothers Company and one of the largest commercial landscape providers in the Southwest, launched over 30 years ago.
42. Girard Environmental Services is a full-service green industry company that serves the Central Florida marketplace. The company offers various construction services as well as management services, including grounds maintenance.
43. Southern Botanical – launched in 1995, the company provides various services such as landscape construction, garden management, interior plants and floral, outdoor living, water management, pools, tree care and more.
44. Russell Landscape Group – established in 1987, the company is a family owned and operated one providing landscape, design/build, and maintenance services.
45. Shearon Design – started in 1974 and located in Plymouth Meeting, PA with regional offices maintained throughout the greater Delaware Valley, the company offers design, build and maintenance services.
46. Senske Lawn & Tree Care has over 65 years of experience in the field and is a regional lawn, tree and pest control company servicing customers in Utah, Idaho, Nevada and Eastern Washington.
47. Scott Byron and Co. was launched in 1983 and is a landscape architecture, contracting and maintenance company that offers its services to a wide range of clients in different areas.
48. Environmental Management was launched in 1992 and serves Columbus and Central Ohio. The company provides various services such as landscape design, maintenance, irrigation, enhacements and renovations, fertilization and weed control, annual color displays to both residential and commercial properties.
49. Gachina Landscape Management describes itself as the leading provider of landscape management services in the San Francisco Bay area since 1988. The company provides landscape management services to various clients, like commercial property, office parks, HOA communities, retail, apartments and municipalities.
50. James River Grounds Management was formed in 1989 and provides landscape management services to corporate clients throughout Virginia. The company has multiple branch offices and its services include grounds maintenance, ornamental plant health care, landscape installation and enhancements, irrigation, snow removal, arbor care, drainage, parking lot sweeping and soil testing and analysis.
Now, these are the top companies we identified in the lawn care area. However, we are curious: what companies do you recommend when it comes to lawn care? Add them in your comments here – we are truly curious and want to enrich this list!