Want to know the biggest secret that most interior designers use to completely transform a bedroom? Well, there's one word for you - headboards. While most headboards serve as a decorative item as opposed to a functional piece of furniture they still have the ability to totally makeover the way a room looks.
Many of us get stuck in a rut when it comes to the design of a headboard, or even a bedroom for that matter. But there are so many great DIY ideas that exist today online for headboards that can be done quickly, easily, and on a budget which can range from the most simplistic to over the top look.
Top 6 Tips for Choosing a Headboard:
1) Keep in mind the proportion of the headboard as you don’t want to overwhelm the space
2) Consider coordinating with a side table and other elements in the room
3) If you choose a solid headboard design then perhaps backdrop it with a focal wall of color or wallpaper to draw extra attention to the space
4) Utilize throw pillows on the bed to create a unified look
5) Don’t go overboard with patterns between bedspread, throw pillows, headboard and wallpaper
6) Use the headboard to tie the rooms color palette all together
Sure you could go with the ‘average’ wood type of headboard with matching furniture set (nightstands, dresser, armoire, etc.), but is that original? With a unique headboard design you have the ability to completely transform the look and feel of a bedroom with one simple furniture piece. The options for headboards are never-ending from different sizes, styles, fabrics, wood materials or metal. Don’t forget to add in a footboard if the design needs more balance, but in most instances you can get by with just having a headboard in place.
You can use unexpected decor items to add a new pizzazz to any type of bedroom and you don’t have to break the bank to get something great and add something fresh to your bedroom. While getting a new headboard may not mean completely redoing your bedroom it is a great (and easy) way to provide a quick facelift.
A headboard can become the focal point of any bedroom while everyone’s tastes and styles are unique the possibilities for headboards are endless. Let your creativity flow and personality shine through from creating the perfect master retreat to the bachelor pad and everything in between, headboards have the ability to completely transform a room.