Owning custom built homes is one of the cornerstones of the American dream, as the saying goes. When it comes to acquiring your home, the best way to get the home of your dreams is to build a custom home. The vast majority don't do this; could it be that they didn't consider the benefits? Alair Homes has put together this infographic specifying the some common ones.
Top Desirability Traits of Custom Homes
1. The peace of mind that comes with owning a home that meets or exceeds all your local building codes can't be underestimated. It's no wonder safety and functionality in custom homes keep improving.
2. Even non-techies want a home with the latest technology integrated in it. WiFi is a must and home automation is just convenient. Automation is no longer the thing of the future. Being able to adjust the thermostat and lighting remotely is an increasingly demanded residential amenity.
3. More and more homeowners are opting for sustainable appliances and building material.
4. Functionality and visual appeal are personal matters. All other things being equal, the looks and ease of operation during daily activities must be a good match for the family unit as a whole.
5. Flexibility in designing a floor plan that fits your unique situation is what custom is all about. Do you need a "mother-in-law" suite? Specify a plumbing system and electrical components that can handle the extra demand. Do you have multiple small children? You can plan for when the time comes that they need their own rooms. An extra bathroom always comes in handy in a large family.
Custom Construction Puts the Focus on Being Eco-Friendly
Whether you are building from the ground up or doing a major renovation project, there are basic ways to lower your carbon footprint.
1. Doors and windows that qualify for an ENERGY STAR rating will pay for themselves in a reasonable amount of time.
2. Combining an energy-efficient, up-to-date HVAC system with ceiling fans uses less energy and saves wear and tear on your equipment.
3. Buyers of custom homes have a wide selection of flooring, cabinets, and other furnishings. Take the time to buy recycled when available.
4. Investing in LED lighting (including landscaping) is a great way to be more frugal than operating incandescent bulbs.
A Custom Home Turns Out to be More Frugal than a Contractor-Grade One
Wait, how can that be; isn't that counter-intuitive? On the surface, yes, but in the long run your living costs will remain much lower. When compared to a conventional home, the homeowners insurance on a custom one is lower.
Custom home plans tend to specify higher-quality components and demand more attention to detail during construction. For these reasons yearly maintenance costs are far lower. Additionally, high-end energy-saving appliances cost less to operate and last much longer before replacement is required.
The Benefit of Enjoying Your Lifestyle
The whole point of investing in a home that reflects your preferences and personality is enjoyment; it is that place that you can retreat to. Those in the know will tell you that being able to unwind is one of the best ways to recharge your batteries. These benefits might be intangible, but don't let that fool you. Some "me-time" is definitely a health benefit.
A comfortable environment is conducive to having a place for the family to gather on a daily basis and for entertaining on the weekends. Whether you entertain socially, for business purposes, or a combination of the two, a custom home can make it happen the right way.
About the author: Alair Homes