There are thousands of awesome free services and cloud solutions available online. However, some industries refuse to enter the “Freemium” era and continue to charge expensive fees for their services. That's why many DIY landlords and property managers don’t even look for a property management solutions, thinking they are extremely pricey and complicated: but both statements are myths.
Here’s our list of top-tier property management services that allow landlords & property managers to enjoy helpful tools for free:
1. TenantCloud is a top of the line, end-to-end cloud service for landlords, property managers, tenants & service professionals. TenantCloud allows landlords to use such tools as: easy accounting, free rent collection, visual maintenance request management, one-click marketing (service allows to post vacant units to more than 26 rental listing websites for free), run & export reports and much more. Landlords have an option to get download a free iOS app.
Tenants can create a free profile which allows them to communicate with landlords, pay rent online for free, submit maintenance requests, and secure all important rental documents and data. Tenants profile also allows them to use it as a reusable rental application and find a new home.
ServicePros can create a personal profile, manage work orders from landlords and get new leads.
TenantCloud offers free 75 units for landlords (however, you can request more for free too). Service is absolutely free for tenants and currently free for service professionals.
2. TrueRent is a web-based property management program, which helps analyze the performance of a property or entire portfolio today and projects its performance for the future. TrueRent also helps users to track ROI (Return on Investment) and provides storage for applications, leases, rent checks and receipts.
SnapShot feature displays all users’ properties on one screen and gives a complete view of all statistics. Online payment system allows to collect rent payments and transfer money to landlord’s account automatically.
TrueRent also offers a tenant portal which helps landlords and tenants communicate and manage work orders. TrueRent is free for the first 50 units. Each additional unit is $1/month.
3. PendoRent is another cloud rental management solution which is free as of now. Owners can use PendoRent to track their financial database. Landlord dashboard provides different functions such as financial transaction statistics, tenant management, storage, address book and others. PendoRent offers rental marketing on Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist etc. Dashboard also includes the “Cashboard” tab that displays all financial statistics of landlord's portfolio.
Landlords can download a free iOS app to manage properties on the go.
Currently PendoRent is free, however, soon the cost will be somewhere between $10-20 per month, according to data provided by the support team.
4. Cozy is a free online rental management software for tenants and landlords. Cozy allows landlords and tenants to manage payments online, submit and track rental applications. Cozy also provides users with such features as profile sharing and applicant screening. Cozy also lets landlords to run national and county criminal and eviction checks.
Landlords can add an unlimited number of tenants and roommates and manage an unlimited number of applications.
Cozy is free for landlords, however, they make money during tenant screening with credit reports and background checks.
5. SmartPropertyManager.com is an online property management solution for landlords and property managers. It allows landlords to keep track of all their properties with a bunch of useful features.
The landlord dashboard displays portfolio performance and lets users create multiple portfolios, property units and track each property’s rent income and expenses.
The personal dashboard also allows landlords and property managers to generate reports and export them in PDF & DOC formats. Landlord dashboard provides users with cloud storage and an option to track value of your properties over time, track inspections and store files and images as attachments.
The personal edition is free and includes maximum 1 user, 10 property units and 3 landlords.
6. 123Landlord.com is a web-based property management software solution for landlords. Service lets users easily manage properties and tenants information. Main 123Landlord features include: tenant & property accounting, maintenance request management, forms and letters. Software supports multiple owners, so users can keep data separately. With 123Landlords landlords can also get full reports of building and property and export them in DOC, PDF or XML file formats.
A free basic profile provides landlords with 1 user, 2 tenants, 2 properties, and an unlimited amount of buildings.
About the author: Nancy Robbers is a property manager from Chicago. She previously worked in marketing and advertising.