Are you tired of your boring garage? Is your current garage one that you can barely park your car I for the clutter, much less spend any time in? Would you spend more time in your garage if it was more comfortable and attractive?
If you’re a car enthusiast and you would like to spend more time in your garage, working on your car or even on other projects that you don’t want to bring into the house then why not create a space that’s welcoming and inviting? You can build a dream garage on any budget, just by sticking to a few basic ideas.
The following is a short list of 10 ways to build the garage you’ve always wanted . Be careful, though. By the time you’re finished you might not want to leave!
1. Hot and cool air– If your garage just gets too cold in the winter then make it more comfortable by adding air. A window unit will cool it off in the summer (if you have a window) while a forced air heater will heat it up in the winter. The Family Handyman suggests one that burns natural gas since it tends to be cheaper.
2. Comfortable seating– You don’t have to drag in a recliner (though you can if you want to) but comfortable stools and chairs will make sitting for long periods of time a lot easier. Try to get a stool with a back so that you have extra support.
3. Storage– Built-in cabinets, shelves, drawers, and platforms will give you lots of space to store your tools and gear. They’ll get things up off the floor, too.
4. Wall décor– You might not decorate your garage like you, say, your kitchen but that’s no reason to leave the walls bare. Scour the internet, secondhand shops, or home decorating stores for lively, colorful prints. Consider images of automobiles, classic bikes, or even movie posters.
5. Get connected– Consider putting a place for a computer in your garage. You might put a desktop in there or, if you have a router, using your laptop and a wireless connector. A computer is handy for when you’re working on a project and you need to quickly look something up. It could be anything from parts that you need to an online car insurance comparison site.
6. Install a bathroom– If you have the extra cash and can swing the plumbing issue then install a half-bath in your garage. You won’t have far to go if you’re in the middle of something and if you get greasy while you’re working you won’t have to stop and clean up before taking care of your business.
7. Provide some entertainment– In the old days, you might have had a portable radio out in your garage. Now, you’re not just limited to your transistor. Instead of relying on what the local station has to offer, consider putting in a CD player, iPod dock, or even a flat screen TV. Mounting a TV on the wall will get it up out of the way and ensure that you can see it from anywhere in the room.
8. Change the flooring– You don’t have to stick to dull, boring gray concrete floors. The internet is abundant with new flooring options that can deal with heat and weight. You can find garage floors with interesting patterns, textures, and colors. Your car will never look snazzier.
9. Feed your urges– You can work up an appetite staying out in the garage all afternoon. A basic refrigerator or even a wet bar that’s fully stocked will keep your thirst quenched and your appetite sated.
10. Install a security system– If you’re going to keep anything valuable in there, from your tools to your car, then you’ll want to protect them. Adding a security system is a must. Garages are sometimes overlooked in regards to the rest of house but they shouldn’t be.
Betty Schiffman of Forbes.com says that today, garages have become a “trophy room” for those that love their vehicles. Now, your garage can be an excellent place to spend time in-no matter what your budget is. “While not binding, a real estate assessment can be a very useful tool in evaluating a home’s value.”
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a freelance writer that loves coming up with new, creative ways to define spaces that need a facelift. She’s provided many valuable tips for those looking to re-purpose, re-furbish, and renovate nearly every room in the house. She’s also a pro at finding the best online auto insurance quotes.